Bessma Momani has a Ph.D. in political science with a focus on international political economy. She is an Associate Professor at the Balsillie School of International Affairs at the University of Waterloo. She has been Non-Resident Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., and a visiting scholar at Georgetown University’s Mortara Center and at the Amman Institute, a research centre to improve local governance in the Middle East. Dr. Momani is a regular contributor to national and international media on the Arab Spring and on global economic governance issues. She maintains a blog at CIGI called Wealth and International Politics, a column on Huffington Post, and is a Roundtable Contributor on the Canadian International Council.
Kevin Dias, CIGI Communications Specialist
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +1.519.885.2444 ext. 7238
April Wetiig, Graduate Program Assistant, Global Governance Programs
University of Waterloo
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +1.519.888.4567 ext. 32415
- “Supporting Arab countries in the Deauville Partnership” in The UK Summit: The G8 at Lough Erne 2013 edited by John Kirton and Madeline Koch. Published by Newsdesk Media Group and the G8 Research Group (May, 2013).
- “Introduction” w. J. Hennebry in Targeted Transnationals: The State, the Media, and Arab Canadians. Co-edited with Jenna Hennebry. (April, 2013).
- Targeted Transnationals: The State, the Media, and Arab Canadians. Co-edited with Jenna Hennebry. UBC Press (April, 2013).
- “(Re)Branding Amman: the values, the image and the making of place" with L. Khirfan in Place Branding and Public Diplomacy (Feb. 2013).
- “Academic and Think- Tank Assessment of the IEO and its Evaluators” in Independent Evaluation at the IMF: The First Decade. Edited by Ruben Lamdany and Hali Edison. Washington: International Monetary Fund Publication Services (2012).
- “Between Caution and Controversy: Lessons from the GCC States as (Re)Emerging Donors” with C. Ennis in Cambridge Review of International Affairs, Vol. 25, No. 4 (December 2012).
- "Arab scholar's take on Globalization" with W. Hassan in Thinking International Relations Differently. Arlene Tickner and Ole Weaver (Eds.), Routledge IR Series (2012).
- "Japan's Rescue of the IMF" w. C. Holroyd in Social Science Japan Journal. (2012).
- "Emerging Powers and IMF Reform: Where Multipolarity in the World Economy is Leading the Fund" w. A. Malkin. St. Anthony's International Review. (2011).
- "Qatar and expanded contours of Small State Diplomacy" with A. Cooper, in International Spectator (2011).
- Shifting GeoEconomic Power in the Gulf. Co-edited with Matteo Legrenzi. London: Ashgate Press (2011).
- 2013-2014 UW Lois Claxton HSS Endowment Fund Award ($7,000)
- 2013-2014 UW Research Incentive Fund ($8,000)
- 2012-2013 Fulbright Scholar
- 2010-2012 SSHRC Insight Development Grant (co-applicant) ($75,000)
- 2007-2010 SSHRC Strategic Grant ($84,500)
- 2006-2007 SSHRC Seed Institutional Grant ($5,500)
- Sept. 2005 SSHRC Travel Grant ($1200)
- 2004-2005 SSHRC Seed Institutional Grant ($5,500)