Yasmine Shamsie is an Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science at Wilfrid Laurier University. Her research has focused on the peacebuilding efforts of bilateral and multilateral actors in Haiti and Central America, with particular attention to democratic development programs.
She is a Fellow at the Centre for Research on Latin America and the Caribbean (CERLAC) at York University and a non-resident Fellow at the Foundation for the Americas. She is the co-editor of Haiti: Hope for a Fragile State (Waterloo: CIGI & Wilfrid Laurier University, 2006) and of Whose Canada? Continental Integration, Fortress North America and the Corporate Agenda (Montreal, Kingston, McGill-Queen's University Press, 2007). Her research has appeared in comparative politics journals such as Third World Quarterly and the Journal of Haitian Studies as well international relations journals such as Global Governance, Civil Wars, and the Review of International Political Economy. Prior to completing her graduate work and joining Wilfrid Laurier University, she was a researcher at the Regional Centre for Economic and Social Research (CRIES), in Nicaragua, and a policy analyst with the Jesuit Centre for Social Faith and Justice, in Toronto.
- 2012 "Haiti's Post-Earthquake Transformation: What of Agriculture and Rural Development?" Latin American Politics and Society, Vol. 54, No. 2, Summer.
- 2012 "Applying the Security-Development Nexus in Haiti: What has been Obscured and Prioritized?" Journal of Peacebuilding and Development, Special issue on Haiti. Vol. 6, No. 3.
- 2012 "Canadian Assistance to Haiti: Some Sobering Snags in a Fragile State Approach" Peter McKenna (ed.) Canada Looks South: In Search of an Americas Policy, Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- 2011 "Time for a "High-Road" Approach to EPZ Development in Haiti" Commissioned by the Conflict PRevention and Peace Forum, New York, January.
- 2011 "Quelle strategie de developpement pour Haiti?" in Haiti aujourd'hui, Haiti demain. A. Martinez, P. Beaudet, S. Baranyi (eds.) Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press.
- 2010 "Starting from the Ground Up: Engagement in Haiti's Agricultural Sector" Commissioned by the Conflict Prevention and Peace Forum, New York, December.
- 2009 "Export Processing Zones: The Purported Glimmer in Haiti's Development Murk," Review of International Political Economy, forthcoming
- 2009 "Haiti: Economic Development on the margins of the global periphery". Eds. Andrew Cooper and Jorge Heine, Which Way for Latin America? Hemispheric Politics Meets Globalization, United Nations University Press, in press.
- 2008 "Canadian Efforts to Build Democracy in Haiti: Some Reflections for the Coming Years" Canadian Foreign Policy, Vol. 14, Issue 3, Fall
- 2008 "Haiti: Appraising Two Rounds of Peacebuilding Using a Poverty Reduction Lens" Civil Wars, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 415-432
- 2008 "Economic Perspectives for Haiti in the Medium Term" Commissioned by the Conflict Prevention and Peace Forum, New York for the United Nations Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH).