John Ravenhill is the Chair of the Political Science department at the University of Waterloo. He is the former Director of the Balsillie School of International Affairs. Previously, Dr. Ravenhill was the Head of the School of Politics and International Relations, Research School of Social Sciences at the Australian National University, where he also co-directed the ANU’s MacArthur Foundation Asia Security Initiative project.
After obtaining his PhD at the University of California, Berkeley, he taught at the University of Virginia and the University of Sydney before joining ANU in 1990. In 2000, he took up the Chair of Politics at the University of Edinburgh for four years. He has been a Visiting Professor at the University of Geneva, the International University of Japan, the University of California, Berkeley, and was the NTUC Professor of International Economic Relations at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
His work has appeared in most of the leading journals of international relations including International Organization, World Politics, Review of International Political Economy and Review of International Studies. For two decades, he co-edited (with James Cotton) the flagship book series of the Australian Institute of International Affairs, Australia in World Affairs. He is currently an editor of the Review of International Political Economy, and was the founding editor of the Cambridge University Press book series, Cambridge Asia-Pacific Studies. He is also on the Editorial Boards of Pacific Affairs, International Relations of the Asia-Pacific, Business and Politics, Contemporary Politics, Foreign Policy Analysis, International Studies Review, Economic and Political Studies, and the Australian Journal of Political Science. He has been a consultant to the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the ASEAN Secretariat, and the US Department of State. His most recent books are The Oxford Handbook of the International Relations of Asia (co-edited with Saadia Pekkanen and Rosemary Foot) and the fifth edition of Global Political Economy (both from Oxford University Press). In 2016, he received the International Studies Association’s International Political Economy Section’s Distinguished Scholar award.
He is a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in Australia, and a Fellow of the Australian Institute of International Affairs.
- Ravenhill, J. 2017. “The political economy of the Trans-Pacific Partnership: a ‘21st Century’ trade agreement?” New Political Economy 22 (5): 573-94.
- Ravenhill, J. 2014. “Global Value Chains and Development.” Review of International Political Economy 21 (1): 264-74.
- Ravenhill, J. 2017. Global Political Economy [5th Edition]. Oxford: Oxford University Press. [editor and contributor]
- Ravenhill, J. 2014. Oxford Handbook of the International Relations of Asia. New York: Oxford University Press. [co-editor and contributor]
- Ravenhill, J. 2008. “In Search of the Missing Middle.” Review of International Political Economy 15 (1): pp. 18-29.