Dr. Margaret Walton-Roberts is a human geographer trained in the UK and Canada who focuses on international migration. She is currently a professor at Wilfrid Laurier University and the Balsillie School of International Affairs, Waterloo Canada. Her research interests are in gender and migration, transnational networks, and immigrant settlement. Her current research focuses on gender and the international migration of health care professionals in the context of India, and international student migration.
She has been awarded several external grants for her research, and has published over 18 book chapters, and more than 20 journal articles. Her latest co-edited book Diasporas, Development and Governance was published by Springer.
- Ennis, C., and Walton-Roberts, M. Forthcoming. “Labour market regulation as global social policy: the case of nursing labour markets in Oman.” Global Social Policy
- Moniruzzaman, M., and Walton-Roberts, M. 2017 “Migration, Debt and Resource Backwash: How Sustainable is Bangladesh-Gulf Cooperation Council Circular Migration?” Migration and Development.
- Walton-Roberts, M., Bhutani, S., Kaur, A., 2017. “Care and Global Migration in the Nursing Profession: A North Indian Perspective.” Australian Geographer 48,1: 59-77 .
- Gill, H., and Walton-Roberts, M. 2017. “Placing the transnational migrant.” In Urbanization in a Global Context, edited by Alison Bain and Linda Peake, 245-260. Oxford University Press.
- Walton-Roberts, M. 2017. “Immigration policy change and the transnational shaping of place.” In Rethinking International Skilled Migration, edited by Micheline van Riemsdijk and Qingfang Wang, 228-248. Routledge: New York and London.
- Dordi, H., and Walton-Roberts, M. 2017. “Softening India Abroad: Representations of India and its diaspora in the Canadian Press.” Routledge Handbook of the Indian Diaspora, edited by R.S. Hedge and A. Sahoo, 252-266. Routledge.
- Chikanda, Abel, Crush, Jonathan, Walton-Roberts, Margaret (Eds.). 2016. Diasporas, Development and Governance. Springer International Publishing.
- Connell, J., and Walton-Roberts, M. 2016. “What about the Workforce? The Missing Geographies of Health Care”. Progress in Human Geography 40(2): 158–176.
- Howard Hassmann, R., and Walton-Roberts, M. 2015. The Human Right to Citizenship A Slippery Concept. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Walton-Roberts, M. 2015. “The international migration of health professionals and the marketization and privatization of health education in India: From push-pull to global political economy”. Social Science and Medicine 124: 374-382.
- Professor, Geography and Environmental Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
- Office: BSIA 216
- PhD., University of British Columbia, 2001
- M.A., University of British Columbia, 1996
- B.A. Honours, Manchester, 1991