Elizabeth completed the Masters of Arts in Global Governance program at the University of Waterloo in December 2014 and graduated in June 2015. Her focus was on understanding national and international responses to famine. She is interested in understanding the impact of international food aid and humanitarian interventions in crisis regions, and is examining whether tools such as commodity exchange markets and derivative contracts help or hinder agricultural development in East Africa.
Before her Master's, Elizabeth was the Partnership Manager at Community Food Centres Canada (Toronto) where she worked with communities across Canada to build alternatives to food banks, ensuring people in of all incomes have access to safe, healthy and affordable food. She has also worked as a consultant and program intern with The J. W. McConnell Family Foundation. This included conducting a cross-country scan of community food security initiatives in Canada, which directly led to the creation of a multi-year granting program on sustainable food systems. Her previous work experience has led to a deep passion about food policies that focus on increasing access to food in low-income regions municipally, nationally and internationally.
Elizabeth is now based in the Bay area, where she is an intern scholar at the Oakland Institute and a visiting student researcher at the University of California Berkeley. Elizabeth is an avid cyclist, cook, and gardener, and can be found cycling most weekends.
- .2015.( March) Seeds of Change: Corporate Power Grassroots Resistance and the Battle Over the Food System.
- .2014.( December) The Corporate Takeover of Ukrainian Agriculture.
- .2014.( October 16) A Manifesto for Solving the Global Food Crisis.
- .2014.The Role of the Informal Economy in Addressing Urban Food Insecurity in Sub-Saharan Africa CIGI Jr Fellows Policy Brief No 14 Centre for International Governance Innovation.
- .2014.( May 1) 10 Things You Need to Know About the Global Food System.
- .2013.Side by Side: Unravelling Canadian and Kenyan Approaches to Food Security iAM Journal 4(1) 12-15.
- CIGI Junior Fellowship, 2013-2014
- University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship, 2013-2014
- Canadian Millennium Scholarship, Provincial Laureate, 2003-2007