Ian Rowlands is the Associate Vice-President, International at the University of Waterloo. He is also a Professor at the School of Environment, Resources and Sustainability at the University of Waterloo and is cross-appointed to the Department of Political Science and the Global Governance Program.
Dr. Rowlands has research and teaching interests in the areas of energy management strategies and policy, international environmental relations and corporate environmentalism. His research has been published in many international journals, including Energy Policy, Environmental Politics, Renewable Energy, Review of Policy Research and Business Strategy and the Environment.
Dr. Rowlands was one of the Canadian representatives to the International Energy Agency - Demand Side Management Program's Task XIII on ‘Demand Response'. He has also served as a member of the Ontario Power Authority's Advisory Group on Sustainability Matters (in preparation of the Integrated Power System Plan) and its Conservation Business Stakeholder Advisory Group. Dr. Rowlands's present research activities include his participation in the national ‘Solar Buildings Research Network' (www.solarbuildings.ca) and his leadership of a multi-partner project supported by the Ontario Centre for Energy entitled ‘Energy Hub Management System: Enabling and Empowering Energy Managers Through Increased Information and Control'
Dr. Rowlands received his Bachelor's degree in Engineering Science (specialising in Chemical Engineering) from the University of Toronto, his Diploma in International and Comparative Politics from the London School of Economics and Political Science and his doctorate in International Relations from the University of London (London School of Economics and Political Science). Before joining the faculty of the University of Waterloo in 1998, he was a researcher at the United Nations Collaborating Centre on Energy and Environment in Denmark (1996-97) and a lecturer in International Relations and Development Studies at the London School of Economics and Political Science (1991-96). Prof. Rowlands has also been a Visiting Fellow at the Robert Schumann Centre for Advanced Studies at the European University Institute in Italy (2003).
- .2009.Promotion of Renewable Electricity in the United States and the European Union: Policy Progress and Prospects.in Miranda Schreurs Henrik Selin and Stacy D VanDeveer eds (Ashgate ) pp 145-64.
- .2009.Renewable Electricity Politics Across Borders in Changing Climates.in edited by Henrik Selin and Stacy D VanDeveer (MIT Press ) pp 181-98.
- .2009.Demand Response in Ontario: Exploring the Issues.(working paper prepared for the Independent Electricity System Operator Toronto and published on their website at http://wwwiesoca/imoweb/pubs/marketreports/omo//demand_responsepdf).
- .2009.Nodal Pricing in Ontario, Canada: Implications for Solar PV Electricity.(Vol 34 No 1 January ) pp 170-78.
- .2008.Wind Power in Ontario: Its Contribution to the Electricity Grid.(Vol 28 No 6 December ) pp 436-53.
- Distinguished Teacher Award, University of Waterloo, 2009.