Dr. Peter Johnson is an Associate Professor in the Department of Geography and Environmental Management at the University of Waterloo. His research seeks to understand how governments, citizens, and private companies share information through geospatial technology, including open data, the Geoweb, social media, mobile devices, and the process of crowdsourcing. Recent projects have focused on understanding the value of government open data, the integration of crowdsourcing in government, Geoweb platform development, and the use of civic technologies to better connect citizens and government. His research program is funded through various SSHRC grants, as well as an Early Researcher Award from the Province of Ontario. He is a core member of the SSHRC funded research partnership grant www.geothink.ca.
Peter A. Johnson
Associate Professor, Department of Geography and Environmental Management, University of Waterloo
- 2019. Philpot, S., Philpot, C., Hipel, K., and Johnson, P. Identifying potential conflict in land-use planning using a values-centered e-participation tool: A Canadian case study in aggregate mining. Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences 2019.
- 2019. Johnson, P.A. Disintermediating Government: The role of Open Data and Smart Infrastructure. Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences 2019.
- 2018. Minano, A., Johnson, P., and Wandel, J. How the Geoweb supports climate change adaptation in coastal communities in Nova Scotia. Geojournal. 83(3), 413-425.
- 2017. Johnson, P.A., and Greene, S. Who are government open data infomediaries?: A preliminary scan and classification of Canadian open data users and products. Journal of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA). 28(1), 9-18.
- 2017. Scott, D., Steiger, R., Rutty, M., Pons, M., Johnson, P. The differential futures of ski tourism in Ontario (Canada) under climate change: the limits of snowmaking adaptation. Current Issues in Tourism.
- 2017. Johnson, P. A., Sieber, R., Scassa, T., Stephens, M., & Robinson, P. The Cost (s) of Geospatial Open Data. Transactions in GIS, 21(3), 434-445.
- 2017. Philpot, SL, Johnson, PA, Hipel, KW. Analysis of a brownfield management conflict in Canada. Hydrological Research Letters. 11(3), 141-148.
- 2017. Johnson, P.A., Models of direct editing of government spatial data: Challenges and constraints to the acceptance of contributed data. Cartography and Geographic Information Science. 44(2), 128-138.
- 2017. Johnson, P.A., and Sieber, R.E. The Geoweb for community-based organizations: Tool development, implementation, and sustainability in an era of Google Maps. The Journal of Community Informatics 13(1).
- 2017. Johnson, P.A., Nicholls, S., Student, J., Amelung, B., Baggio, R., Balbi, S., Boavida-Portugal, I., de Jong, E., Hofstede, G.J., Lamers, M., Pons, M., and Steiger, R. Easing the adoption of agent-based modelling (ABM) in tourism research. Current Issues in Tourism. 20(8), 801-808.
- PhD in Geography, McGill University (2005-2010)
- MA in Geography, University of Waterloo (2001-2003)
- BA in Recreation and Leisure Studies and Geography Honours Co-op, University of Waterloo (1997-2001)