Randall Wigle has recently been appointed Director of the PhD in Global Governance program. He is also a Professor of Economics at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo Ontario, Canada. He has published widely on topics in the areas of international trade policy and environmental economics. The overwhelming majority of this work relates to computable general equilibrium modeling. This modeling simulates the world economy's response to trade and environmental policies.
A broad theme in this work is the interactions among environmental, trade and fiscal policies. Dr. Wigle's recent work has focused on Canadian climate policy, especially the linkages between federal and provincial action. Dr. Wigle is currently collaborating with Marisa Beck (Ph.D. student at the Balsillie School), Christoph Bohringer (Oldenburg Germany), Nic Rivers (Ottawa), Tom Rutherford (Wisconsin, Madison) and Hidemichi Yonezawa (U Ottawa) on a project looking at fiscal and dynamic aspects of Canadian Climate Policy approaches. The work is funded by Carbon Management Canada.
Dr. Wigle has also applied the CGE methodology to look at border issues with Trien Nguyen (Waterloo) and renewable electricity policy (with Marisa Beck and Nic Rivers). Some of the work on renewable energy has been supported by Sustainable Prosperity.
Dr. Wigle's teaching in recent years has focused on environmental economics.
Professor Wigle has been involved in the preparation of technical reports for Agriculture Canada, the C. D. Howe Institute, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Environment Canada, Industry Canada, the US Department of Labor and Australia's Productivity (formerly Industry) Commission among others.
- Boehringer, Christoph, Nicholas Rivers, Thomas F. Rutherford and Randall Wigle 2015 "Sharing the burden for climate change mitigation in the Canadian federation" Canadian Journal of Economics
- Beck, Marisa, Nicholas Rivers, Randall Wigle and Hidemichi Yonezawa 2015 "Carbon Tax and Revenue Recycling: Impacts on Households in British Columbia" Resource and Energy Economics
- Beck, Marisa and Randall Wigle 2015 "Carbon Pricing and Mind the Hissing Policy Report for Sustainable Prosperity"
- Boehringer, Christoph, Nicholas Rivers, Thomas F. Rutherford and Randall Wigle 2012 "Green Jobs and Renewable Electricity Policies: Employment Impacts of Ontario’s Feed-in Tariff" Berkeley Electronic Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 12 (1)
- Nguyen, Trien and Randall Wigle 2011 "Border Delays Re-Emerging Priority: Within-Country Dimensions for Canada" Canadian Public Policy 37 (1): 49-59
- Nguyen, Trien and Randall Wigle 2009 "Welfare Costs of Border Delays: Numerical Calculations from a Canadian Regional Trade Model" Canadian Journal of Regional Science 32 (2): 203-222
- Snoddon, Tracy and Randall Wigle 2008 "Fraying Over Paying: Who Will Bear the Costs of Greenhouse Policy" Critical Issues in Environmental Taxation 5: 235-255
- Snoddon, Tracey and Randall Wigle 2007 "Regional Incidence of the Costs of Greenhouse Policy" Canadian Journal of Regional Science 30 (2): 313-336
- Wigle, Randall, Jeevika Weerahewa, Maury Bredahl, and Sudarma Samarajeewa 2007 "Impacts of BSE on World Trade in Cattle and Beef: Implications for the Canadian Economy" Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 55 (4): 535-549
- Senior Fellow Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network