Rianne Mahon holds the CIGI chair in comparative social policy and global governance at the Balsillie School of International Affairs and Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo. Her earlier work focused on the politics of industrial and labour market restructuring with particular attention to the role of trade unions. More recently, Mahon has produced numerous articles and book chapters on the politics of childcare, with a particular focus on Canada and Sweden. Dr. Mahon’s current research focuses on gender and global governance.
Together with Sonya Michel, she edited Child Care Policy at the Crossroads: Gender and Welfare State Restructuring. Recent articles include “The OECD’s Discourse on the Reconciliation of Work and Family Life” in Global Social Policy and “One Step Forward, Two Steps Back: Child Care Policy from Martin to Harper” (with Cheryl Collier) in How Ottawa Spends. She co-edited The OECD and Transnational Governance with Stephen McBride (UBC Press, 2008), Leviathan Undone? Toward a Political Economy of Scale with Roger Keil (UBC, 2009) After 08: Social Policy and the Global Financial Crisis with S. McBride and G. Boychuck (UBC Press 2015), and co-authored Advanced Introduction to Social Policy with Daniel Beland (Edward Elgar 2016). Rianne has been an editor of Global Social Policy since 2010, and the editor of Social Politics from 2005-2015 and again since 2017. Most recent publication, “Shaping the way IOs see gender equality: the OECD and ECLAC” in the Handbook on Gender and Social Policy, Sheila Shaver ed.
- Mahon, Rianne. 2018. “Shaping the way IOs see gender equality: the OECD and ECLAC.” In Handbook on Gender and Social Policy, edited by Sheila Shaver. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Mahon, Rianne and Sonya Michel. 2017. “Not in Focus: Migrant Caregivers as Seen by the ILO and the OECD.” In Gender, Migration and the Work of Care, edited by Ito Peng and Sonya Michel. Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Mahon, Rianne and Daniel Béland. 2016. Advanced Introduction to Social Policy. Edward Elgar.
- Mahon, Rianne, Stephen McBride and Gerard Boychuk, eds. 2015. After ’08: Social Policy and the Global Financial Crisis. UBC Press.
- Mahon, Rianne. 2015. “Articulating a Feminist Agenda Within the OECD: The Working Party on the Role of Women in the Economy.” Social Politics 22(4): 585-610.
- Mahon, Rianne. 2016. “‘Early Childhood Education and Care in Global Discourse’ for Handbook on Global Policy and Policy-Making in Education.” In Handbooks of Global Policy Series, edited by Karen Mundy, Andy Green, Robert Lingard and Antoni Verger. Wiley-Blackwell.