Application Deadline

The deadline for submitting completed applications for entry into the program in Fall 2022 is January 15, 2022 (note that Laurier considers January 15 as a ‘first consideration’ deadline, and will continue to accept applications beyond this date until all program spots are filled). Applications will be considered on a competitive basis, but applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Successful completion of an MA degree with distinction or equivalent in Political Science, History, Economics, International Development Studies, International Peace Studies, Globalization Studies, Environmental Studies, or a related field, with an overall average of at least A- (80%).
  • Demonstration of sufficient academic and/or practical experience and personal suitability as evidenced by 3 letters of reference (at least two from academic referees), academic transcripts, a writing sample, and a personal statement of interest. Experienced professionals in the private or public sectors will be considered for admission, but additional course work may be required.
  • If you are applying to the PhD program through Wilfrid Laurier University and your first language is not English, you will be required to submit acceptable evidence of your English proficiency to our International Recruitment and Admissions office. If you have successfully studied in an English instructional educational system on a full-time basis for a minimum of three years (excluding ESL courses), you may not be required to submit an English proficiency test score. If you satisfy the above requirements and wish to be exempt from providing a test score, you must provide our International Recruitment and Admissions office with a letter detailing the reasons for your appeal, along with a school profile.
  • Applicants to the PhD program through the University of Waterloo whose native language is not English must demonstrate command of the English language with a minimum TOEFL score 100 (writing 26; speaking 26), or the equivalent on a comparable test. Comparable tests include: IELTS 7.5; MELAB 90; CAEL 70; PTE 68. See the University of Waterloo Graduate Studies Academic Calendar for further details, including information on qualifying for an exemption.

Applications must include:

  • A completed application form from one of the two universities (see below).
  • A résumé of your academic and work experience; include a history of your publication and scholarly paper activity and any other information you feel will interest the admissions committee.
  • Official transcripts and degree certificates (where applicable) of all undergraduate and graduate work.
  • Completed reference forms; 3 letters of reference (at least two from academic referees) are required.
  • A research statement/statement of intent;
    • For University of Waterloo applicants, this document should be a maximum of 500 words in length and should explain your reasons for pursuing graduate studies, your areas of interest, and an indication of at least one preferred supervisor;
    • For those applying through Wilfrid Laurier University, complete the statement of intent document (no more than 2,000 words), which should identify a preferred advisor, describe your preferred area of study and its significance, highlight ‘fit’ with both the program and the proposed advisor, and outline relevant training or experience.
  • A sample of your scholarly writing (no more than 25 pages in length); this may be a chapter of your master’s thesis or a paper written for a graduate course; note that this document will not be returned to you.
  • For international applicants, an official statement of English-language test proficiency (where applicable).
  • If you are a Permanent Resident, evidence of your status in Canada is required; you must provide a photocopy of your signed “Record of Landing” or photocopies of both sides of your Permanent Resident card.
  • You may apply to either Laurier or UW, but not both. Although admissions decisions are made by a joint admissions committee consisting of faculty from both universities, you should apply to the institution where your preferred supervisor is based. Your degree will be granted by the university in which you are enrolled. If you have questions about which university you should apply to, please contact Dr. Andrew Thompson at
Scroll to Top