Associate Dean, School of International Policy and Governance
Geography and Environmental Studies, Wilfrid Laurier University
Office: BSIA 216
Dr. Margaret Walton-Roberts is a human geographer trained in the UK and Canada who focuses on international migration. She is currently a professor at Wilfrid Laurier University and Associate Dean of the School of International Policy and Governance at the Balsillie School of International Affairs, Waterloo Canada. Her research interests are in gender and migration, transnational networks, and immigrant settlement. Her current research focuses on gender and the international migration of health care professionals in the context of India, and international student migration.
She has been awarded several external grants for her research, and has published over 18 book chapters, and more than 20 journal articles. Her latest co-edited book The Human Right to Citizenship: A Slippery Concept will be published by University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Howard Hassmann, R., and Walton-Roberts, M. (2015) The Human Right to Citizenship: A Slippery Concept, University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Walton-Roberts, M. (2015) Chaos in the Caribbean: The Dominican Republic’s Resolution 168/13 and the slipperiness of citizenship" The Penn Press Log.
- Walton-Roberts, M., (2015) “Femininity, mobility and family fears: Indian international student migration and transnational parental control.” Journal of Cultural Geography 32, 1.
- Walton-Roberts, M. (2015) “The international migration of health professionals and the marketization and privatization of health education in India: From push-pull to global political economy.” Social Science and Medicine 124: 374-382. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.10.004.
- Chikanda, A., Crush, J., and Walton-Roberts, M. (2015) Diasporas, Development and Governance. Springer Global Migration Series.
- Walton-Roberts, M. and Hennebry, J. (2014) Territoriality and Migration Management in the E.U. Neighbourhood: Spilling over the Wall, Springer International Migration Series.
- Mahon, R., Mountz, A., Walton-Roberts, M., (2014). Introduction to the Global Social Protection Floor Initiative. Global Social Policy. 14: 293-297.
- Guest editor special issue refereed journals: Mahon, A. Mountz, Walton-Roberts, M. (2014) Introduction to the Global Social Protection Floor Initiative. Global Social Policy 14: 293-297.
- Beaujot, R., Hiebert, D., McDaniel,S., Rose,D., Wright, R., and Walton-Roberts, M., (2014) “Why do we still need a census? Views from the age of ‘truthiness’ and the ‘death of evidence” The Canadian Geographer. 58, 1: 34-47.
- Walton-Roberts, M. (2013) Special Issue on “South Asian Diaspora in Canada” South Asian Diaspora, 5, 1.
- Connell, J., and Walton-Roberts, M., (accepted) “What about the Workforce? The Missing Geographies of Health Care.” Progress in Human Geography.
- Chilvers, S., and Walton-Roberts, M., (2008. Published 2014): Deconstructing the (Re) construction of South Asian Identities in Canada, Diaspora: a journal of transnational studies. 17, 2.
- Affiliation, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, Kerala, India. ( July 2008-2009)
- Honorary Associate, Centre for Research on Social Inclusion, Macquarie University , Sydney Australia
- Director, International Migration Research Centre, WLU, 2008-2011
- Cross appointment to the Laurier Balsillie School of Graduate Programs, 2008
- Adjunct professor Department of Geography Waterloo University, 2008