Dr. Margaret Walton-Roberts is a human geographer trained in the UK and Canada who focuses on international migration. She is currently a professor at Wilfrid Laurier University and Associate Dean of the School of International Policy and Governance at the Balsillie School of International Affairs, Waterloo Canada. Her research interests are in gender and migration, transnational networks, and immigrant settlement. Her current research focuses on gender and the international migration of health care professionals in the context of India, and international student migration.
She has been awarded several external grants for her research, and has published over 18 book chapters, and more than 20 journal articles. Her latest co-edited book The Human Right to Citizenship: A Slippery Concept will be published by University of Pennsylvania Press.
- .2016. "Diasporas, Development and Governance".Springer International Publishing.
- .2016. "What about the Workforce? The Missing Geographies of Health Care".Progress in Human Geography.40(2) 158–176.
- .2015. "The Human Right to Citizenship A Slippery Concept".University of Pennsylvania Press.
- .2015. "The international migration of health professionals and the marketization and privatization of health education in India: From push-pull to global political economy".Social Science and Medicine.124: 374-382.
- .2015. "Migration: the mobility of patients and health professionals".Handbook on Medical Tourism and Patient Mobility. .238-246.Edward Elgar.
- .2015. "Transnational health institutions, global nursing care chains, and the internationalization of nurse education in Punjab".Migrations, Mobility and Multiple Affiliations: Punjabis in a Transnational World. .296-316.Cambridge University Press: Delhi.
- .2012. "Contextualizing the global nurse care chain: International migration and the status of nursing in south India".Global Networks.12 (2): 175–194.
- Affiliation, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, Kerala, India. ( July 2008-2009)
- Honorary Associate, Centre for Research on Social Inclusion, Macquarie University , Sydney Australia
- Director, International Migration Research Centre, WLU, 2008-2011
- Cross appointment to the Laurier Balsillie School of Graduate Programs, 2008
- Adjunct professor Department of Geography Waterloo University, 2008